Jupiter is the 5th planet from the Sun. Planet Jupiter is the largest planet in The Solar system. It was named as King of Gods. The same way it was also named the king of Greek pantheon by the Greek ancients. Planet Jupiter was discovered by Galileo in 1610 by using a telescope. It is fastest spinning planet in the Solar system though it is having more mass than the other planets in the Solar system. This article teaches you about interesting and amazing facts of Jupiter for kids.
Important facts of Jupiter for kids.
- The clouds of Jupiter are made up of ammonia crystals which are broken up into 2 different cloud decks. They change the color in sunlight. But below those clouds, it contains helium and hydrogen all the way down.
- The planet Jupiter has rings, which were discovered third set of rings in the Solar system, after Uranus and Saturn. Its rings are fainted than Saturn’s, but they possibly come from material ejected by its moons when they are hit by meteorite impacts.
- The planet Jupiter’s main ring is flattened, and it is about 30 kilometers thick and 6400 kilometers wide. The inside cloud like ring of the Jupiter is known as halo which is approximately 20000 kilometers thick. Halo ring extends midway from the main ring down to the planet’s cloud tops and enlarges by contact with Jupiter’s magnetic field.
- The 3rd ring of the planet Jupiter is called as Gossamer ring because of its transparency, is 3 rings of microscopic debris from 3 of Jupiter’s moons, Thebe, Amalthea, and Adrastea. Its possibly made up of dust particles less than 10 microns in diameter, about the size of the particles found in cigarette smoke and extends to an outer edge of over 129,000 kilometers from the center of the planet and inward to about 30,000 kilometers.
- Scientists think that the planet Jupiter has 79 moons. Among 79 moons only 53 are named and the for the rest of the moons of Jupiter, they are waiting for the confirmation of discovery. Among all the moons of Jupiter which are discovered Ganymede is the largest moon in the Solar system which measured 5262 kilometers.
- The planet Jupiter’s magnetosphere (magnetic field) of Jupiter is stronger than Earth’s magnetic field. It is ten times stronger than earth’s magnetic field. Astronomers think that the planet Jupiter’s magnetic field is formed by the motion of metallic hydrogen which is found deep inside of the Jupiter.
- Jupiter completes its orbit around the Sun in 12 years.
- The planet Jupiter takes nine and half hours to complete a day, which is considered as a shortest day in the Solar system.
- Jupiter is considered as a one of the gas giant in the Solar system. Because it is composed mostly of gas and liquid matter.
- Jupiter can be seen from the earth with a naked eye. It besides between the brightest objects Sun and moon.
- According to kid facts about Earth, Earth’s mass is 5,974,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms, whereas Jupiter’s mass is 318 times more than the mass of Earth.