Beautiful Earth is the third planet from the Sun. It is the 5th largest planet in solar system. Other planet has seasons, atmosphere and water, but only Earth has a combination of all these elements in the right way. In the entire solar system the life is known to be found only on Earth. This article teaches all the kid facts about Earth that you shouldn’t miss.
It is important to teach your kid facts about earth because we live on our home planet called Earth.
Earth is the largest planet in terms of mass and size among all the planets. It has hard rocky surface. The Composition of the Earth is like other terrestrial planet, in that it has an iron-core which is surrounds by a molten mantle which, in turn, is surrounded by an outer crust, where we live on the top of the crust.
Earth is Different
There are many things that makes the Earth unique among the all the planets in the Solar system.
First, in entire solar system the life is known to be found only on Earth. Not only Earth contains life, it also supports different forms of life.
Another difference is that the earth is mostly covered with water. 71% of the earth is covered with salt water oceans. It is the only planet that has water in liquid form on its surface.
Geography of Earth
The Earth has 7 largest continents. The continents are Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Oceania, and Antarctica. It has 5 major bodies of water called Oceans Including, The Pacific, Indian, Atlantic, Southern, and Arctic Oceans. Mount Everest is the highest point of above the sea level on Earth and the lowest point is Mariana Trench.
Composition of Earth
It is also a Kid facts about the Earth that Our Home planet is composed of layers. The outer Rocky layer of the Earth is called Earth’s crust. Below the Earth’s crust the mantle followed by the outer core and the inner core.
Earth is made up of many elements. The central core of the Earth is made of iron and nickel. Outer layer crust of the earth consists of several elements. The most abundant are aluminum (8.1%), oxygen (46%), silicon (27.7%), iron (5%), and calcium (3.6%).
The Earth’s Moon
The 5th largest moon in the Solar system, Earth’s moon is the place beyond the Earth where humans have set foot. Earth’s moon is the largest and brightest object in our night sky.
Moon is known as Earth’s natural satellite because people didn’t know other moons existed until Galileo Galilei discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter in 1610. Moon completes an orbit around earth in 27 days. The moon faces towards Earth during its orbit. It has thin atmosphere called exosphere. Moon doesn’t have Rings and moons. More than 100 spacecrafts have been launched to study in-depth regarding moon. Moons atmosphere and lack of water doesn’t support life as we know it.
Other Kid facts about the Earth
- We think that earth is perfect circle, but it is oblate spheroid, because middle of the Earth or the equator bulges out slightly due to the spin of the Earth.
- Earth orbits the Sun with the speed of 67,000 miles per hour.
- Inner core of the Earth is hotter than the surface of the Sun.
- Earth is the 5th largest planet among the other 8 planets.
- It was initially composed of helium and hydrogen.
- 40,000 dust particles from stars land on Earth every year.
- The distance between the sun and Earth is 150 million kilometers.
- In Entire Solar system only the earth have three forms of water- solid, gas and liquid.
- It takes 8 ½ minutes for the sunlight to reach Earth.
- The sun is three lakh thirty-three thousand times larger than Earth. A day on Earth is 23 hours, 56 minutes and four seconds.
- The largest cave on Earth is the Sawarak Chamber which is in Malaysia; it is 7 meters long and 400 meters wide.
- The oldest rock on Earth is two billion years old which was found at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Also check out the article “Top kid facts about Venus” for more fun and interesting facts.